Certificate of Safety Training
The first international qualification you need to become a seafarer
This entry level Certificate allows personnel working on Australian registered vessels to operate in international waters. It provides the minimum level of competence in the areas of personal survival techniques, fire prevention and firefighting, emergency procedures and prevention of shipboard accidents to decrease the likelihood of incidents and loss of life at sea.
Structure & Assessment
This course is delivered through classroom presentations, activities and participant discussion as well as practical components within a simulated workplace environment. Trainees will demonstrate their competence through written assessment and practical exercises.
The following elements required to achieve the STCW outcome are embedded into the course.
STCW standard for security awareness (Table A VI/6-1) outcomes include the ability to:
- Contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness
- Recognise security threats
- Understand the need for, and methods of, maintaining security awareness and vigilance.
STCW standard for personal safety and social responsibilities (Table A VI/1-4) outcomes include the ability to:
- Comply with emergency procedures
- Take precautions to prevent pollution of the marine environment
- Observe safe working practices
- Contribute to effective communications on board ship
- Contribute to effective human relationships on board ship
- Understand and take necessary actions to control fatigue
STCW standard for personal survival techniques (Table A VI/1-1) outcomes is the ability to:
- Survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment
STCW standard for fire prevention and firefighting (Table A VI/1-2) outcomes include the ability to:
- Minimise the risk of fire and maintain a state of readiness to respond to emergency situations involving fire
- Fight and extinguish fires
AMSA requires the training below to be revalidated every 5 years:
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Code A-VI/1-2)
- Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code A VI/1-1)
Training Standard Prerequisites
There are no training standard pre-requisites for this course, however, for AMSA endorsement of the Certificate of Safety Training the following course is required:
- Elementary First Aid OR
- STCW Reg VI/1 and Code Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-3) or HLTAID003 Provide first aid (not part of this course)
ERGT will RPL to EFA if evidence can be provided and has a 3rd party agreement with St. John offering a 2-day course that can be used for RPL.
To be issued with a Certificate of Safety Training (COST) by AMSA you must meet all the course requirements, lodge a formal application with AMSA using the Seafarer form 419 and pay the application fees. This is not covered by ERGT course fee. Please refer to the AMSA website for further clarification on how to lodge a formal application.
Medical and Health Standards
A health questionnaire and declaration of fitness will be required at course registration. Please contact ERGT for any concerns regarding completion of practical training and assessment requirements and to discuss options for reasonable adjustments.
A government issued photo identification and valid USI is required for course registration.
Please be aware that we require you to understand AS/NZS 1715 Appendix B: Facial Seal of Respirators. You will not be able to meet competency if you do not comply with the requirements of the standard. Please contact ERGT if you require further clarification.
Please bring swimwear and towel for in water activities.
Authority / Regulator
The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) is the national regulator for Nationally Recognised Training delivered by Australia’s vocational education and training sector. STCW training delivered in Australia is regulated by AMSA, which is Australia’s national agency responsible for maritime safety. AMSA endorsed training is regulated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority which is Australia’s national agency responsible for maritime safety.
†No GST applicable
*Price Includes GST
+Price includes GST / ^No GST applicable