Certificate of Safety Training
The first international qualification you need to become a seafarer
The short course requirements for ERGT Australia’s AMSA-issued Certificate of Safety Training course cover the skills and knowledge required to identify workplace hazards and risks, prevent, or if necessary, respond to incidents including fires, recognise and report security threats, and be able to survive at sea in the event of an abandonment.
The individuals attending the course will be looking to work in any capacity onboard a vessel operating in international waters.
The expected learning outcomes for the Basic Safety and Security Awareness Training are:
Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Minimise the risk of fire and maintain a state of readiness to respond to emergency situations involving fire
- Fight and extinguish fires
Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Comply with emergency procedures
- Take precautions to prevent pollution of the marine environment
- Observe safe working practices
- Contribute to effective communications on board ship
- Contribute to effective human relationships on board ship
- Understand and take necessary actions to control fatigue
Personal Survival Techniques
- Survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment
- Security Awareness Training
- Contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness
- Recognise security threats
- Understand the need for, and methods of, maintaining security awareness and vigilance.
The expected learning outcomes for the Nationally Recognised Training units below are:
MARF006 Observe personal safety and social responsibility
- Plan and conduct work safely
- Contribute to WHS/OHS participation processes
- Contribute to hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control activities
- Participate in controlling WHS/OHS emergency situations
- Complete WHS/OHS records
MARF003 Follow vessel security procedures
- Contribute to enhancing security through heightened awareness
- Recognise potential security threats
- Comply with reporting processes
MARF008 Prevent and fight fires on board a vessel
- Actively prevent fire
- Prepare response to fire
- Combat fire
- Complete post-fire activities
MARF009 Survive at sea in the event of vessel abandonment
- Respond to emergency
- Launch survival craft and rescue boats
- Operate survival craft and rescue boats
- Operate lifesaving and survival equipment on board survival craft and rescue boats
- Assume responsibility for survival of crew and passengers
Medical and Health Standards
A health questionnaire and declaration of fitness will be required at course registration. Please contact ERGT for any concerns regarding completion of practical training and assessment requirements and to discuss options for reasonable adjustments.
A government issued photo identification and valid USI is required for course registration.
Please bring swimwear and towel for in water activities.
Structure & Assessment
This course is delivered through classroom presentations, activities and participant discussion as well as practical components within a simulated workplace environment. Trainees will demonstrate their competence through written assessment and practical exercises.
AMSA requires the training below to be revalidated every 5 years:
Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Code A-VI/1-2)
Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code A VI/1-1)
As per the 2010 Manila amendments to the International Convention on the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for seafarers 1978, as amended (STCW Convention), seafarers are required to demonstrate continued competence in sea survival and fire fighting to maintain the validity of their certificate
Authority / Regulator
– STCW training delivered in Australia is regulated by AMSA, which is Australia’s national agency responsible for maritime safety.
– Nationally Recognised Training is regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), which is the national regulator for Australia’s vocational education and training sector.
†No GST applicable
*Price Includes GST
+Price includes GST / ^No GST applicable